Re: ora-4031 & large_pool

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

Terry ,
I remember having this problem on one of my 8i instances so this may or may not
solve your problem.
It   had something to do with shared_pool_reserved_size being smaller then the
shared_pool_reserved_min_alloc .

since the shared_pool_reserved_size  controls the size of shared_pool reserved
for large allocation it overflows to the large pool.

this being said we were not using mts not rman at that time.

Terry Sutton <terrysutton@xxxxxxx> wrote:
One of our clients is getting the following error occasionally on a 9.2.0.3 DB:
ORA-04031: unable to allocate 8704 bytes of shared memory ("large
pool","unknown object","hash-join subh","kllcqas:kllsltba")

The large pool is set at 16M, which isn't high, but they shouldn't be using the
large pool at all. The don't use MTS, they don't use parallel query or have
parallel_automatic_tuning set to true, and they don't use RMAN. AFAIK, those
are the only things which use the large pool.

Any ideas?

--Terry