optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching

  • From: <ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 9:30:54 -0500

Oracle support(without knowing anything about my system) is telling me to use
the following settings:

OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING = 50
OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ = 5

Tom Kyte's book effective Oracle by Design recommends starting
optimizer_index_caching at my cache/hit ratio and adjusting as needed.

Tim Gorman's paper 'Search for Intelligent Life in the Cost-Based Optimizer'
states that OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ should be set between 10 and 50 for most
OLTPs.

This is a hybrid system, but I only have the OLTP parts to stress test(the
other parts are still in early phase development). Does anyone have any
opinions on this?