Re: open_cursors question

  • From: "goran bogdanovic" <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:26:03 +0200

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:992457118195229572::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:3512824755435

On 7/28/06, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Recently, we bounced our database for maintenance. When it came back up, we had open_cursors set to 1000. Last night, some of our clients didn't get their reports because maximum open cursors was exceeded. I set open_cursors back to 5000, the value before the database was bounced, so they could run the necessary reports. One of the developers made this comment " We do close the connection and that closes associated resultsets also. The connection is passed to ReportSessionBean.writeReport() and is closed in finally clause. ". A few questions come to mind:

1.  Does closing a connection really close the associated resultsets?

2.  5000 open_cursors seems excessive to me.  How do I determine if this
is really what's needed or do we have other "code" options?

2.  What can I do to help my developers?  I'm new to the development DBA
world and not familiar with Java yet.  Also new to the company so I don't
understand all the code relationships yet.

3.  What effect do all these open cursors have on my database?  Can we
improve our efficiency/performance by explicitly closing cursors?

I would appreciate any insights.

Sandy