Re: online space reorgs in 8i

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:39:02 -0500 (CDT)

> Quest did a live reorg by taking advantage of partitioning in some way.  I
> used live reorg for a while, but did not like it.   It was way too error
> prone.  I ended doing the reorgs manually.  My experience is that tables
> generally dont need to be rebuilt, but that indexes subject too both range
> scans and frequent deletes will need to be rebuilt periodically.
> --
> Andrew W. Kerber

The subject of index rebuilding is touchy at best, with a ton of misleading,
incorrect, or plain ignorant information floating about (including ML
articles).  As long as you can prove the reorg helps more than it hurts,
then by all means.

My current environment is much closer to "never reorg".  Tom Kyte seems to
be along those lines, too:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:2913600659112
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:6601312252730

(mangled URLs may need to be repaired)