Re: ok i know this is NOT the smartest question BUT

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:45:34 +0800

I think not, either.

Who will install and support the ClusterWare ?
SunCluster, VeritasCluster and Fujitsu PrimeCluster are options
for clustering Solaris servers.
I don't think SunCluster is supported on Fujitsu and PrimeCluster on Sun.
As for VeritasCluster, yes, it is available on both Sun and Fujitsu servers.
But who [ie which of your vendors] would install and support it ?

Furthermore, the 9iRAC certification is on SunCluster and Veritas on
Sun boxes and PrimeCluster and Veritas on Fujitsu boxes but Oracle
Support might not be comfortable with a "mix".

My site does have Oracle 8.1.7 {non-OPS} + Sun + SunCluster + HitachiStorage
in one environment and Oracle 9.2.0. {non-RAC} + Fujitsu + VeritasCluster + EMCStorage
in another environment.

Hemant

At 04:47 AM Friday, you wrote:
I'm in middle of discussion with some people about doing RAC on 2
different hw platforms running the same OS.

ie: sun box and fujitsu box both running solaris 8.

if the OS and oracle version is the same, is that even feasible?

it logically makes sense, but my gut feel is support will say, "ha, i
think not".

joe