ok for the last 18 yrs in using oracle I must have been asleep, "implied database link"

  • From: TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:15:18 -0500

Ok so a co-worker asks a question about an implied database link, i'm like
"huh".

so a database link is NOT created in the source database but the
userid/password are the same in both source and destination.

take for example

system on db1 and db2 has a password of x12345.

I do a select count(*) from dba_users@db2 while connected on db1 and it
connects and returns a result set w/o a db link being created.

I've been enlightened again of something new about oracle.

so the question posed is, for a named db link you do "close" it, how do
you close an implied link?

joe
Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional
Senior Engineering & Administration Lead
(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage?
Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"