Re: oinstall group (hopefully not a stupid question)

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:22:08 -0800

Catching up on old Oracle-L:

The only benefit I can see from it is that it prevents
me from doing something like rm -rf /u01/oradata/db01/*.dbf
when logged in as myself.

If I were really trying to lockdown the db's, each install of
Oracle would have different owner:group.  DBA would not
have access to any files.

That just leaves root.

and since su - oracle still works...

Jared

On 10/6/06, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Looking for general consensus here. Do people really set up an oinstall group and make that the oracle owner default group? Since this is not mandatory, does anyone have sage words on why this is recommended in Oracle install guides?

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist