Re: of license portability, we get that now

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:24:15 +0100

Well as it happened I had invited an ms guy to our oracle on windows
sig to talk about ms virtualization. I was disappointed with the tech
content, but what was interesting to me was that ms *get*
virtualization in a way that oracle don't. So for example each new
product must work correctly in a virtual environment. The management
tools are being designed with virtual environments as a core
manageability target and so on. Microsoft.com runs on virtual servers
etc etc.  It's a bit like the management pack licensing - oracle seems
to imagine the world in fortune 500 terms only. Ms seems to see the
bigger picture. Anyway rant over.

On 5/13/09, Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Will Oracle follow?  Maybe...but not quickly.  Frustrating as heck
> watching mgmt sweat over Oracle licensing and contemplate moving to a
> different database because of the licensing complexity/costs.
>

> Chris Taylor
> Sr. Oracle DBA
> Ingram Barge Company
> Nashville, TN 37205
> Office: 615-517-3355
> Cell: 615-354-4799
> Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
> and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please
> notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message
> without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose,
> or storing or copying the information on any medium.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info