RE: ocfs2/oracleasm on Red Hat 4

  • From: "QuijadaReina, Julio C" <QuijadJC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:07:24 -0400

When it comes to security, I try to keep my db servers "behind bars" (I am
borrowing the phrase from an another thread) and not in the open network. I try
to use whatever tools needed to protect them (firewall on the network and the
server itself, listener security, etc.)

Part of me says your model makes sense. The other part of me is not at peace
and says 'well you got vulnerabilities on your systems'. But then again, what
is the likelihood that such vulnerability is exploitable on a security-hardened
system. Like I mentioned, I recently began doing this kind of work on the OS
side. So, I am willing to give different models a try. I can definitely see how
the "if it ain't broke don't fix" model would mean less updates to apply - less
work on that end the job.

And just out of curiosity and a desire to learn, I may do the mix RAC on test.
Or I might just stay on RHEL4 until Red Hat or Oracle don't support it anymore
;-)

Thanks,
-Julio