Re: number of voting disk

  • From: amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rajeev Prabhakar" <rprabha01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:01:24 +0200

Hi

I dont get it, does this work as Sun Cluster Quorum Device?

Say we have two nodes, each node is assigned with a vote and voting disk is
assigned a third note. In this situation voting disk is used to be a tie
breaker, if we increase the number of voting disk to 2, an even number, we
can still use them as tie breaker correct?

What is the difference in this case having 2 or 3 voting disks?

Now imagine we have three nodes, node 1, 2 and 3 are assigned a vote. Node 3
is unhealthy, node 1 and 2 forms a sub cluster AFIAK sub cluster with more
member usually wins so in this case there is no need to count votes. In
othere hand if node 1 and 3 are unhealthy we would have 3 sub clusters and a
race will start to grab the voting disk and the one with more votes will
stay.

I dont see what is the use of odd number of voting disks in these
situations?

Thanks

Alex

On 4/16/07, Rajeev Prabhakar <rprabha01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alex

I believe that would be for a tie breaker prior to a node eviction.

-Rajeev