Re: null or value

  • From: Peter Robson <peter.robson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:30:20 +0100

Can't resist coming in on this.

The question is well worth answering, but I don't understand why the
exchange has been so lengthy. Discussions on the meaning of null (could even
be 42...) is peripheral to the problem.

The answer is quite simply to do what Toons suggests as his point #2, create
a new table for monitoring this status condition. The problem is a DESIGN
one. Whenever you even think you may need to use a null value, STOP - and
ask yourself if you have your basic design correct. It can be argued that
any design requiring use of nulls is wrong - period. I won't go that far,
but nearly...

peter
edinburgh