Re: not including temp neither undo tablespace in full backup

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:09:20 -0500

Juan Carlos,

> We have decided not to backup temp neither undo tablespaces in a full
> backup we get periodically.
> Because it can be easily recreated.

I find that the times backups are needed are usually not calm times,
but often contain moments of sheer terror. Sometimes you are awakened
from a deep sleep and must perform a recovery while you mind is still
partially asleep.
    Therefore, my goal is to make database recovery as simple as
possible. You may save some backup time by omitting the temp space
(Oracle tends to do that). However, during a recovery it is easy to
forget the additional step of recreating the temp space. So you tell
the users the database is recovered and go back to sleep. Just about
the time you are drifting off to sleep the phone rings again with the
joyous news that the users are receiving some weird Oracle error about
a missing datafile. Eventually you get the exact error and it occurs
to you that you forgot to recreate the temp datafile. The users are
less than amused because they are now convinced that you lied to them
when you said the database was ready for their use.

Dennis Williams