Re: normalization

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:53:07 -0800

3rd normal form: attributes must depend ONLY on the the key attribute(s)

Calculated attributes violate that.

To preempt the question "What if the calculated column is calculated
from the PK attributes?": if that is the case, then questionable choices
were made for the key attributes.

Calculated fields are for reporting. eg. data marts and/or data warehouses.

--
Jared Still