normalization

  • From: Chris Stephens <cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:25:19 -0400

There is a discussion going on at work concerning calculated fields.

I am claiming that any calculated field in a table is a violation of
at least 3NF if not 2NF.  I can find all sorts of references on the
web that justify my position but nothing that directly says this
violates normalization rules.

The person who i disagree with is claiming that 'technically',
calculated fields do not violate 3NF. They are just not recommended.
I am unable to find anything on the web coinciding with this argument.

Anyone know of a site with a direct statement that calcualted fields
violate 2NF/3NF?

thanks,
chris