RE: nomenclature standardization: where best to put oraInventory?

  • From: J.Velikanovs@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:06:02 +0300

>Jurijs -- what sort of problems did you have? Was it just that
oraInventory
>was not under ORACLE_BASE, and some patch set made that assumption
instead
>of consulting /etc/oraInst.loc? I'm thinking that is just a flat-out bug
and
>someone needs a spanking. However, you might be implying something more
>subtle or insidious regarding oui and/or jre complexities and it flew
over
>my head. Please elaborate if that is the case.
To describe my problem have taken longer then I would like.
There is long piece of text below.
In case you would like to understand my consideration, I posted them here.
.
As I remember, the problem was with name of directory there OUI located.
Consider the following:
.
1. As I mentioned previously, I would like to have different OH
independent of each other as possible. Lets assume I have two OH 9.2.0.4
and 9.2.0.5. If for some reason 10g OUI (which is used during/after
9.2.0.5 patch installation) will change sharable oraInventory in the way
that 9.2.0.4 OUI will not be able to use it, then I am in trouble. This
situation is just single example from many. So I would like to have
separate oraInventory for each OH.
.
2. As Tanel have proposed we can use different OB for each installation,
so
/u01/app/oracle_1/product/9.2.0.4
/u01/app/oracle_1/oraInventory
/u01/app/oracle_1/oui
/u01/app/oracle_1/jre
/u01/app/oracle_2/product/9.2.0.5
/u01/app/oracle_2/oraInventory
/u01/app/oracle_2/oui
/u01/app/oracle_2/jre
and switch from one to another by changing pointer in the /etc/oraInst.loc

.
Lets me ask the question: what are going to be with admin/SID/Xdump
directories, then?
/u01/app/oracle_1/admin/SID1/bdump
/u01/app/oracle_1/admin/SID1/udump
/u01/app/oracle_1/admin/SID1/cdump
?
/u01/app/oracle_1/admin/SID8/bdump
/u01/app/oracle_1/admin/SID8/udump
/u01/app/oracle_1/admin/SID8/cdump
?
/u01/app/oracle_2/admin/SID9/bdump
/u01/app/oracle_2/admin/SID9/udump
/u01/app/oracle_2/admin/SID9/cdump
?
/u01/app/oracle_2/admin/SID15/bdump
/u01/app/oracle_2/admin/SID15/udump
/u01/app/oracle_2/admin/SID15/cdump
.
This is just with 2 Oracle software installations. Lets assume we have
5-10, as is typical in environments of Developing companies (in one of
such companies, I am working, at the moment). It?s going to be chaos, or
mess if you like, by my option.
.
I would like to do this in old proven way.
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.5
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.6
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.7
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory
/u01/app/oracle/oui
/u01/app/oracle/jre
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID1/bdump
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID1/udump
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID1/cdump
?
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID15/bdump
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID15/udump
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID15/cdump
.
If I would like to get the databases list located on particular server I
would issue just:
================================
dbhosmos*/920-/u01/app/oracle/admin
$ ls
FGS01   FGS02   FGS04   FGS05   FGS051  FGS21   FGS22   FGS41   VAS01
VAS02   VAS04   VAS05
dbhosmos*/920-/u01/app/oracle/admin
================================
You would say ?It?s easy, cat /etc/oratab!?. And what you would say if you
be asked to clear all files in the udump directories older then 5 days?
You will be pushed to take in account what you have taces files distribute
thought files systems. The monitoring of TRC files space usage becoming
more complex, etc.
.
As resume:  I would like to keep one ORACLE_BASE directory per host.
Recall to the first part, I would like to have separate oraInventory for
each OH, as well as separate oui and jre directories for each
oraInventory.
.
3. How to satisfy my requirements?
3.1 What I have done at the beginning?
Installing 9.2.0.4, then OUI asked me where I would like to put
oraInventory, oui, jre I have answered:
================================
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory.9204
/u01/app/oracle/oui.9204
/u01/app/oracle/jre.9204
================================
After that I have installed 9.2.0.5. Easy just changing /etc/oraInv.loc
and I have gotten:
================================
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.5
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory.9204
/u01/app/oracle/oui.9204
/u01/app/oracle/jre.9204
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory.9205
/u01/app/oracle/oui.9205
/u01/app/oracle/jre.9205
================================
And there is the problem with oui directory naming have been appeared ;(.
Opatch assumed that OUI is in the oui directory, and can?t understood that
it have non-default directory name oui.9204.
I have realized that, this is not a good strategy.
.
3.2 The situation there I am at the moment:
After installation of 9.2.0.4 I have
================================
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory
/u01/app/oracle/oui
/u01/app/oracle/jre
================================
I manually renaming OUI staff to
================================
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory.9204
/u01/app/oracle/oui.9204
/u01/app/oracle/jre.9204
================================
In case of I required to make any manipulation with 9.2.0.4 OH, then I am
rename those back, Make changes, rename reverse direction.
I have set of directories oraInventory/oui/jre for each OH in one OB.
.
.
Thank you, that you had enough patience to read my post down to the end.
I hope you understood my point and why I have chosen so complex way to get
read of complexity ;).
.
Any comments would me welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Jurijs

On 11.08.2004 20:16:51 oracle-l-bounce wrote:

>I don't think Tanel meant he pointed /etc/oraInst.loc at a non-standard
>location, but rather he just editted it to point at the one in
ORACLE_BASE
>that was the current subject. I could be wrong (easily and often).
>
>So it seems this is indeed a fragile structure. Either it is as
officially
>supported, one oraInventory in a particular ORACLE_BASE for all
ORACLE_BASEs