RE: nohup jobs

  • From: "Thater, William" <William.Thater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:12:37 -0500

Kommareddy, Srinivas (MED, Wissen Infotech)  scribbled on the wall in
glitter crayon:

> Hi,
>
> But still my rcp is running.

that's just what it should be doing.  like Rachel said, you submitted it to
the background with the "&" at the end of the command line.  so it runs in
the background.  the problem is you *ALSO* submitted the nohup job to the
background with the "&" at the end it *IT'S* command line. so it goes like
this:

--nohup job starts in the background
--it submits the rcp job in the background
--rcp job returns control to the nohup job
--nohup job is done [it submitted the rcp job and got control back]
--it returns "Done" and control to the foreground process.

to have the nohup job run until the rcp job finishes you have to either:
1) remove the "&" from the end of the nohup command line
or
2) remove the "&" from the rcp job command line

doing either of the above will ensure that control is not returned to the
controlling process until the job is finished.

--
Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
"I'm going to work my ticket if I can..." -- Gilwell song