nls_length_semantics anyone see this before

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 06:00:11 -0700 (PDT)

has anyone encountered this with nls_length_semantics before.

The issue that i'm having is  someone changed the nls_length semantics to char
and now  we try to change the parameter but  it still stays tha same on the
session level.

thus we are unable to change the  table unless we specify the session level
change.

Any ideas

consider this.

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Fri May 21 07:36:26 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
With the Partitioning and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

SQL> @nls

PARAMETER    VALUE
NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS   CHAR

SQL> show parameter nls_length_semantics
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
nls_length_semantics                 string      CHAR

now

SQL>
SQL> alter system set nls_length_semantics=byte scope=both;

System altered.

SQL> show parameter nls_length_semant

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
nls_length_semantics                 string      BYTE
SQL> @nls

PARAMETER
VALUE
NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS