Re: *nix vs MS

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:27:34 +1000

Rodd Holman apparently said,on my timestamp of 8/10/2005 2:39 AM:

Telnet server service was available in W2K Server.
It's a telnet (text only) access into the server. Can do anything that you can do at a command prompt on the server.
For a DBA that means you can pretty much do everyting you need to.
Yep, I believe your Windows SA's where holding out on you. Not sure if there are security issues with the w2k server telnet service or not. Might be why. I've only played a bit with it. Haven't used it in production, since, we use *nix for our real work here. ;-)

There are security issues with *any* telnet service,
regardless of OS...
It is however possible to use a different port than
the default for this service: configurable in either
Win or *nix.  Might be a better way to use telnet?

The other thing of course is that no matter what the
port is, telnet uses unencrypted communications.
Which means grabbing your SYSTEM password as you enter
it in a SQL*Plus session is the equivalent of child's
play for an eaves-dropping cracker.

Might be better to look at ssh for either OS?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto