Re: *nix vs MS

  • From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:39:36 -0500

Kip,
Telnet server service was available in W2K Server.
It's a telnet (text only) access into the server. Can do anything that you can do at a command prompt on the server.
For a DBA that means you can pretty much do everyting you need to.
Yep, I believe your Windows SA's where holding out on you. Not sure if there are security issues with the w2k server telnet service or not. Might be why. I've only played a bit with it. Haven't used it in production, since, we use *nix for our real work here. ;-)

Rodd

Kip.Bryant@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Are you refering to "Remote Desktop Connection" that became available...not
sure when.  Or the clunky outbound only telnet windows comes with?  Or a third
party outbound only telnet?  Have our windows admins been hiding something?  I
have never been able to telnet to a windows machine.

Kip

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:34:46 +0100
From: David Sharples <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: *nix vs MS
Sender: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: DGoulet@xxxxxxxx
Cc: robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx,
"Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"And
as someone else mentioned, you can't just telnet into a MS box. You
need something else like PCAnywhere or VNC."
You can if you have the telnet service running (same as linux / unix )

Rodd Holman
Enterprise Data Systems Engineer
LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation
rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx