Re: new sql tuning book

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:17:48 -0800 (PST)

I read it cover-to-cover, and its great. It covers
many database types, not just Oracle.

Replaces 'trial-and-error' approach with ... well lets
call it a trial (e.g. hard) ... a manual approach to
tuning SQL. The method it teaches is a very manual
procedure for analyzing and tuning SQL. Its nothing
like any other book I've read.

I'm undecided how to recommend it. So, here are some
plus and minus points in my opinion:

PLUS:
----------
1) Cool tricks I've never seen before to drive SQL
paths. I'm talking 'way-beyond' concat null or +0.

2) Manual techniques to analyze and derive an
'optimal' and 'robust' SQL access plan. After you
learn these techniques you should know if CBO is
helping or not.

3) Diagramming techniques for SQL that are wonderful.
And, mathematical techniques which go deep into
selecting a robust SQL plan.

4) Discussion supports almost any SQL database, and
especially good with general purpose databases.

5) Good descriptions that eliminate misunderstanding
of SQL syntax and side-effects on tuning SQL.

MINUS:
----------
1) Does not emphasize how to work with Oracle's CBO.
Following the 80/20 rule, if you accept CBO and
statistics as good on 80% of SQL, then what do you do
with the 20% problem cases?
Options might include a) figure out how to tell/hint
the CBO to succeed, b) try to manually force the SQL
plan, or c) try something else e.g. partitions,
parallel, analytical fns, stored outlines, 10g new
stuff, etc.. Hmmmm?

2) Heavy focus on nested loops with few and
complicated exceptions for anything else. I think
(guess) if you are doing a data warehouse the
techniques might not help.

3) Does not discuss Oracle's nor the others (MS SQL
Server and DB2/2) analytical functions. Personally,
we've used these to improve our report SQL a lot.

4) Technique based on row counts, and I'm told it
would be better with block counts. I have not tested
yet, but I'll let you know after OP101.

The reason I think the book is great is because I want
to know how close I'm getting on 'problem' SQL, and
when I need to try something else. Some of Tow's
techniques are not discussed anywhere else. The
diagramming and mathematical techniques are gold. The
analysis and tuning methods work on MySQL databases.

In light of recent thread discussions, Tow's book is
not an arsenal of weapons to fight the Orale SQL
tuning war. Rather, its more like GPS and a sniper
rifle (please don't put this on your cube wall).

Regards,

Mike Thomas