ncomp, linux, and lib32

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:33:16 -0500

An offshoot to my other thread.  When users try to run loadjava or
ncomp without -thin, it would throw this error:

Error while connecting with oci8 driver to dev1.nsighttel.com:
oracle.aurora.server.tools.loadjava.ToolsException: The JDBC OCI8 Driver
is not installed properly, use -thin to try the JDBC Thin driver:
/u00/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/lib/libocijdbc10.so:
/u00/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/lib/libocijdbc10.so: cannot open

I verified that libocijdbc10.so did exist where it was looking.  Also,
this only happens when running these programs as "normal" OS users on
the linux box (RHEL).  When I'd run as oracle (the oracle software
owner), it ran fine.

I had already run the $ORACLE_HOME/install/changePerm.sh script to
relax permissions.  However it turns out that loadjava etc. wanted
access to $ORACLE_HOME/lib32, which isn't in changePerm.sh by default
and so still had permissions of 750.

This is Oracle 10.2.0.2 64-bit.  Here's the banner from sqlplus:
Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

Why would it want the lib32 dir?  And if so, why wouldn't it just say
so in the original error?

PS: we would have just skirted the issue and run ncomp with -thin, but
it seems that ncomp doesn't pass that -thin into dropjava, and so it
will fail there.

--
Don Seiler
oracle: http://ora.seiler.us