Re: multiple inventories on SUN cluster ?

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: steenbdkoraclel@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:35:34 -0700

As I recall, the capability to have multiple inventories was introduced with 10gR1. I wouldn't know for certain, though, as I don't have any 10g in production just now. :-( I recall that Oracle marketing presentations crowed about this quite a bit when 10g first came out. (One of the major advantages being that is it now supposed to be much easier/safer to "clone" ORACLE_HOMEs.)

Anyway, if you get *really* desperate, there *is* a way to have multiple instances of the file
/var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc
even on a single server. Yes, /including/ the absolute pathname. Refer to the UNIX manpage for the 'chroot' command.

Note: I'm not actually recomending this. I'm just offering information for information's sake. This can be a great way to confuse even yourself. Even people who are quite experienced with the use of 'chroot' sometimes manage to confuse themselves, and somebody who has never heard of it is likely to be /completely/ baffled! (And Oracle Support might actually disown you, too.)

steen bartholdy wrote:

Hi
we have SUN clusters.
we have chosed to make each resourcegroup as atomic as possible.
Therefore each resourcegroup containing a Oracle database also contains an inventory.
we had the assumption that the file
/var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc
can only contain 1 definition of inventory_loc
examble :

inventory_loc=/dhe/repm/oracle/oraInventory
<<
In order to patch a database you have to make sure that the inventory is the relevant inventory for that database by editing oraInst.loc
I saw ( http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/saternos_scripting.html ) the following comment :

If there is more than one inventory location due to multiple installs
<<
surprise to me :
can the Oracle Installer handle multiple inventory locations ?
is this RTFM ? and if where can I read something ?
TIA
SteenB