multiple inventories on SUN cluster ?

  • From: steen bartholdy <steenbdkoraclel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist oracle <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:53:06 +0100 (CET)

  Hi
  we have SUN clusters.
  we have chosed to make each resourcegroup as atomic as possible.
  Therefore each resourcegroup containing a Oracle database also contains an
inventory.
  we had the assumption that the file
  /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc
  can only contain 1 definition of inventory_loc
  examble :

  inventory_loc=/dhe/repm/oracle/oraInventory
  <<
  In order to patch a database you have to make sure that the inventory is the
relevant inventory for that database by editing oraInst.loc
  I saw ( http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/saternos_scripting.html
) the following comment :

  If there is more than one inventory location due to multiple installs
<<
  surprise to me :
  can the Oracle Installer handle multiple inventory locations ?
  is this RTFM ? and if where can I read something ?
  TIA
  SteenB