Re: moving to linux

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbinsight@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:26:30 -0600 (CST)

You and your purchasing/asset mgmt staff should partner on creating a formal
RFP document sent to all of the major vendors (including SUN, which now markets
Intel-based machines with whatever OS you wish to run, including an open
version of Solaris.)  This request for proposal should include a method for
migrating to the new environment with comparible software, and the costs
involved.

Your question sounds technical, and a good systems engineer probably knows a
lot about the hardware and nomenclature already, but so many new offerings from
vendors abound, and are released almost daily, so getting to hear the technical
side of their proposals is always worthwhile.  It's almost impossible to say,
in advance, what the right number of processors or configuration from a given
vendor would be without a comparison and test.   You may also ask that the RFP
include a hardware trial at nominal cost.

An Oracle rep can also provide an abundance of knowledge to the process,
especially since they now market hardware systems such as exodata and exodata-2
in concert with the major vendors.   SAN Disks, HBA switches and other
network-related hardware do make the technical selection process more
complicated.  This is why I recommend your RFP include a complete
recommendation from each vendor.  They will occasionally offer to build a
system using their own, or their competitors offerings for such components to
make a competitive bid.

By the way, there's no such thing as "linux hardware" anymore, in the strictest
sense.  This same hardware can run Windows and Solaris and other flavors of
unix/linux.  Don't forget third party apps and productivity tools must also be
certified for whatever environment you select.  Many times when working with
clients running on Solaris and more traditional unix variants, you find you
must upgrade these as well when moving to a new OS, so this upgrade activity
can greatly complicate the process, to the point of involving application
coding changes.  It can also add significantly to the cost of the migration.
In some cases, older software is not even supported by vendors.  You'll have to
consider suitable replacements in such cases.

This also implies that your application staff should also already be involved
in the process.  You wouldn't want to spring such issues on them after a
selection is made.

You are certainly right that this is a complicated task, so good luck!