RE: mirroring database storage

  • From: "Martin Bach" <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:22:22 +0100

Hi Maureen,

Are you going to mirror those on the same or a different array? Mirroring on
the same array might be a good idea for snapshots pre/post large batch
processes to save on restore time. I have seen this used extensively and
it's a good way to back out a release for a large database. Large in this
context is any database which requires more time to restore than you have.
You need to ensure though that you not only create a snapshot of the
database, you also need a quick way to go back for any middle and client
tier as well. Any existing replication should of course be stopped,
especially Data Guard-if left active your primary and standby will be out of
sync. Finally your system (storage) team should be comfortable with the
procedure to get the whole environment back, should that be required it can
get hectic!

But should you have a blackout on the data centre the mirror copy on the
local array won't help you much....

It's a different story if you are remote-mirroring to a DR data centre. All
storage vendors have a product available (SRDF, Continuous Access, etc) to
replicate on the array level but with Data Guard in place that's money not
worth investing in my opinion.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin Bach