merge command, pq slaves and sorting

  • From: "David" <thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

I have a huge merge command that does a hash join, 50 window sort steps
and an associated FTS.
With even a degree of 2 on the involved tables, it spawns 20 PQ slaves and
never completes.
With noparallel the query completes in 3-4 minutes.

Can someone please verify...If the FTS spawns a number of slaves based on
the degree, does each sort operation also get that number of slaves, is
that correct?

parallel_max_servers = 20 and thus why only 20 are used I belive, but I
think the job would actualy want about a 100 slaves.

Hmmm, thanks
--
..
David