Re: measuring the extra CPU needed

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oralrnr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 09:10:58 +0200

Yes, there are techniques to predict the needed resources based on your
measurement.
(I started my journey in this area with this book:
http://resources.orapub.com/Forecasting_Oracle_Performance_Book_p/fop_book.htm
)

In general you need to know the applications load, e.g. clicks per seconds,
reports per hour, ... The biggest problem here is that those events are not
identical. So you either have to separate them into different workloads -
which makes the model quite complex - or you hope/assure the events are
occurring more/less at a stable rate and the complexity of a single event
has an exponential distribution.

Based on these "events" you can create correlations with your CPU usage, IO
counts, .... and see if those are of any significance.

With this you can estimate the resources needed at higher load.

Just take care, the more resources you put into any system, the effective
performance per resource decreases. A linear projection is very dangerous
because of this.
So in general (and with Oracle Licensing in particular) I'd advise to first
go for the fastest CPUs you can get and only then add additional CPUs.

hth
 Martin