Re: maximum protected phsical standy database

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: A.Bahar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:09:40 +0100

Hi Arslan,
Where did you issue the 'alter database set standby database to maximize
protection;' command?
Primary or standby? Can you tell me the exact commands, and their
sequence when you switched to max protection mode, and to what database
you issued them?

Did you create standby redologs?

What did the PROTECTION_LEVEL column of V$DATABASE tell you on the both
ends, after you (thought you) switched to maximum protection mode? If
that is not MAXIMUM PROTECTION, it is not MAXIMUM PROTECTION. Verify
that, before forcing the thing to fail.

You say logs have been fetched. That is FAL, after a log-gap occurred.
In managed standby mode logs get pushed by LGWR on the primary, not
fetched by whatever process on the standby.

Further, I never tried a logswitch after shutting down the standby, as
you did. Actually, that might succeed and not necessarily shutdown the
primary. I always try a smallish transaction, and that will immediately
cause the primary to abort. Although the opening of the remote redolog
(or the fact that it fails) is reason enough to abort the primary. As I
said, I never tested this.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===