maximum controlfile size and controlfile_record_keep_time

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:21:32 +0100

All

Does anyone with large retention policies for rman backups on their systems
have an indication of how many backup records I can reasonably expect to
retain in a controlfile in addition to an RMAN catalog. I'm aware that a
controlfile is limited to 20,000 blocks and that both backup and archivelog
records get recorded here. I'm wondering at what sort of retention period a
catalog really becomes necessary - i.e what sort of practical limits people
have found before the control file cannot record the required backup
information to meet their redundancy policies. I'm aware that transaction
volume, backup frequency, #datafiles etc have a big impact. Any bugs people
have run into with 20k block controlfiles would be well worth knowing as
well. :(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA