max number of handles 9.2, win32, partitioning

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

keywords so I can find this later:

max number of filesystem handles under a single
oracle.exe process win32 w2k

win32: w2k adv svr sp4
Oracle 9.2.0.5 EE + partitioning
(might go 10.1.0.2 soon)

What is the largest number of user sessions *
datafiles = filesystem handles that you've encountered
in win32 land?

I had the bright idea of partitioning several large
tables at a client site that are frequently hit, that
typically supports 250 simultaneous sessions.
Normally, most users will only actively hit the most
recent partition for those tables and their indexes,
but I am somewhat concerned that if we managed to hit
say 10,000 handles that I could be in for quite a
surprise. That evaluation server went back to the
manufacturer prior to me getting to test destructively
(the fun part).

I'm currently seeing around 6000 handles for 225
threads in a non-partitioned setup for a single
oracle.exe process.

currently using 2 tablespaces for data (128KB and 8 MB
extents, unform LMTs) 2 tablespaces for indexes (128
KB and 2 MB extents) with 8 datafiles each, as there
are 4 RAID 10 mount points and been chunking them in 1
GB files.

I'm aware of the parameter session_max_open_files and
will have to bump it up.

I did experience an episode of resource exhaustion
when a mail server was down, and the mail proc was
opening up handles repeatedly (by the thousands) which
caused the instance to not be able to create any
dedicated server processes - where I think it hit
15,000 handles.
that was quite awhile ago and I did not save the
debugging info.

To sum it up, If I partition 42 tables into 42
partitions (months) that each have 42 indexes and 42
users simultaneously access the application, will it
throw an ora-00942 error? :)

thanks in advance.

Paul