RE: major blunders

  • From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:18:08 -0600

When I was installing 11gR1 in our production environment, it gently
reminded me that Oracle recommends not having your login directory be
ORACLE_BASE which is unfortunately the standard for the company I
support (of course, it gives you a YES and NO button but doesn't
actually ask you a question...but I digress).  It reminded me that one
night I was setting permissions for archive logs for an auditing tool to
mine and I accidentally set the ORACLE_BASE directory to read only.
Every database, listener, agent, etc. went down simultaneously.  My
lesson was to know where you are before you do any "global" action.