RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Oracle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:58:55 -0500

Jaco
   What are the benefits you hope to achieve by consolidating schemas within
an instance? I can see several potential problems, especially if these are
vendor-supported applications. It may be difficult to upgrade to new Oracle
versions because different vendors will provide support for a new Oracle
version at different times. Another issue is that each schema may support a
different group of users, and one group of users may be eager to move to a
new Oracle version while another group of users doesn't see this as a
priority. After years of trying to consolidate schemas as much as possible,
I've tended to go the opposite direction in recent years.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx