RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Or acle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:09:58 -0500

Justin
   My benchmark for whether consolidation saves great amounts of hardware
resources is whether you pull some memory boards out of the server
afterward. Yes, I was baiting the poster a little to drive home a point.
When you tell management you will save hardware resources with the
consolidation, they may expect some real savings. Or they may let you by
with claims that "everything is running faster."
   I made the memory savings argument for consolidating instances for years
and only got dumb looks. Then this business of databases to DBAs started
getting discussed, and I suddenly said to myself "am I stupid or what??"
(don't answer that Mladen). I suddenly realized that my best efforts to be
frugal with resources were making me look bad, giving me a bad ratio.
   What we are talking about in saving hardware resources is in my view
pretty minor. Maybe slightly better utilization of existing server
resources. Maybe tuning the instance a little better. But we probably aren't
talking about pulling two CPUs out of a 4-CPU server. Now THAT would be some
real savings!! Reducing your Oracle license savings!
   But as I pointed out, if this project will contribute to your continued
employment, I'm in favor. Too often we DBAs have pitifully poor Public
Relations. But just don't believe your own PR.
   And keep in mind that there are many factors in both directions and these
factors will vary depending on precisely which applications you are
considering bunking together.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.