RE: looking for a good way to change manage oracle

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:54:21 -0500

I think Tom has a good point; however, the request tracking works best if
the environments are all in sync when the process is started otherwise you
do not have an explanation for why differences exist.  I think Ryan's first
problem is to identify and re-sync those elements that should be the same.
As this is done then change tracking must be implemented to maintain a
record of the changes.

Ryan, one idea that might be of use if your application is basically limited
to using the basic objects: tables, views, indexes, synonyms, etc... might
be to extract the owner, object_name, and object_type from dba_objects along
with a database identifier and load this into one database.  Then a simple
pl/sql script could identify objects in one database environment but not
others.  Using dba_tab_columns you could identify differences in tables and
views.  If you do not worry about identifying the exact differences in code
but just identify the objects that require review the code is pretty simple.

Obviously this is not a purely automated technique but the coding is simple,
the cost is cheap, and it may be good enough.  I used the above for
comparing tables/views between our test environments and production so that
we could rebuild test tables where the column list/order did not match
production.

-- Mark D Powell --