logical standby

  • From: "Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial)" <MATT.ADAMS@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:34:58 -0400

OK, let's try this again after resubscribing to the list.

I'm in the process of setting up a logical standby databases that will only
have a
small portion of the tables in the primary database. (due to disk space
constraints).

Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 8

This is my general plan of attack.

1) create a new empty DB to act as the standby
2) create that tablesapces that will contain the objects we need.
3) run DDL to create empty copies of tables/indexes we want
4) reboot primary to turn on parameters needed for Dataguard
5) shutdown logical standby and restart it, identifying it as a logical standby
6) run the DBMS_LOGSTDBY.INSTANTIATE_TABLE routine for all tables we want

I would appreciate comments on the feasiblity of this approach from anyone that
has tried it before.