logical corruption

  • From: Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:24:25 -0400

Hi List,

env: Oracle 9.2.0.8 Solaris 9

v$database_block_corruption reported logical corruption for three
datafiles.
I ran "backup check logical validate database"   which completed without
any error.
dbv  also reported corruption for all three datafiles.
I did not set maxcorrupt in RMAN so I assume it is set to default 0 (Is
there any way to check this setting?)
Last night RMAN full backup completed without any error.
When I checked, corrupted blocks does not belong to any segment in two
tablespaces to which these three files belong. (I used dbs_extents to map
corrupted block to segment)

This is production database so I am concerned.

1. Why "rman backup check logical validate database" does not report any
error?
2. What are my options? I assume these blocks are marked as soft corrupt.
Is there any way to repair/reclaim them?
3. Am I correct to assume that if I do not do any thing these blocks will
not be used ever and will not cause any issue in future?

Your valuable guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Mayen