re: local non-prefixed partitioning strategy; 9.2.0.6

  • From: cosmin ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:29:53 -0700 (PDT)

hey guys, I have a quandary.
  Most my datawarehouse tables are partitioned nicely by range by a date.
  I also have nice local prefixed indexes.  Cool !

  Now, I am thinking of implementing local non-prefixed indexes that nowhere
have the partitioned key in them .... so no relationship whatsoever to the part
key.

  Question, for partition maintenance, statistics gathering, querying, is
Oracle smart enough to:
  -- gather index stats only on the records belonging to the appropriate
partition (of the non-prefixed index) ?  -- it would seem so.

  --for querying, most likely it will need to do full index scans across all
partitions (depends, but most likely) so probably this will only be beneficial
for partition maintenance (so that the entire index will not need to be
rebuilt).

  this is my understanding...am I missing something?
  thx,
  Cos