local connections fail, but listener connections succeed

  • From: "Uzzell, Stephan" <SUzzell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:44:48 +0000

Hey list,
This is backwards enough that I don't quite know where to start with it. This
morning we noticed that for one environment, we cannot make direct local
connections... but we can connect to our hearts' content via the listener. I'm
used to seeing the listener act up and being able to connect directly but not
via the listener - not this.

Oracle 11.2.0.2 on Win 2003 x64

W:\>set ORACLE_SID=MMP52

W:\>sqlplus usdcdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Thu Jan 3 09:39:13 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Enter user-name: usdcdba@mmp52
Enter password:

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage Management,
OLAP,
Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> select instance_name from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NAME
mmp52

Any ideas?

Thanks!