RE: linux vs MS (slight twist on the topic)

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:14:38 -0400

>>Linux is not ready for production.

This is a very fair question...but a very funny one...so I am not poking
fun for asking it.

I have heard this question for years...and often participated in the
"debate".
I read InformationWeek often and this "discussion" appears on the cover
several times a year, for the past 3+ years.

But now when even I hear this question or debate I laugh...because it's
over!...has been for a while now.
And those who chose to rant "Linux is not ready for production" just
embarrass themselves.

No, no OS is all things to all people, and Linux is not the "end all, be
all", but please.
This is like discussing if the combustion engine will over take the
steam engine...this is ancient history.

When I see or hear this topic all I can think of is the people and shops
I have seen "just doing it" for a while now.
Often it is an older generation the participates in these
discussions...and I'm *always* reminded of the (generally) younger
generation that is not talking about Linux, but living it...no time to
talk about the reality of Linux...many are doing it, in a production
environment.

It is rather hard to dispel something that has already happened.
 ;o)

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA