Re: linux spoof from in mail

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:58:23 -0800 (PST)

In solaris I use mailx ?r myemail.com to send email so the from looks like it?s
not coming from the oracle user on the server. I?ve just started on linux using
mail and I can?t find out how to do the same. I can?t find it in the man page
or on google. Try doing a search on google for spoof email from address.

Michael

Never a good bet to search on "spoof"!

Try using sendmail? from man sendmail (admittedly on AIX):

      -FFullName
            Sets the full name of the sender to the string provided in the
            FullName variable.
       -fName
            Sets the name of the from person ( the envelope sender of the
            mail). This address may also be used in the From: header if that
            header is missing during initial submission. The envelope sender
            address is used as the recipient for delivery status notifications
            and may also appear in a Return-path: header. This flag should
            only be used by trusted users (normally root, daemon, and uucp) or
            if the person you are trying to become is the same as the person
            you are. Otherwise, an X-Authentication-Warning header is added to
            the message.

This link http://www.linux.com/guides/nag2/x15291.shtml , the first section
says how sendmail has to be configured to allow you to do the spoofing.

HTH

Nigel