Re: linux environment question

  • From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:19:51 -0600

For consistency you could always add the following to your script. That would set up the environment the same as a console mode start.

   ORACLE_SID=yoursid
   export ORACLE_SID
   export ORAENV_ASK=NO;
   . /usr/local/bin/oraenv
   export ORAENV_ASK=YES;

That way you wouldn't have any discrepancy between startups and shutdowns.

--Rodd

Niall Litchfield wrote:
On Dec 20, 2007 4:54 PM, Ted Coyle <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Niall,

    Make sure someone didn't try starting another instance.

That was my first thought too. I don't believe that to be the case here though.
    Not sure why you require a trailing slash in your system.  I don't
    have trailing slash and all works fine.

. oraenv calls dbhome which greps /etc/oratab to set the ORACLE_HOME - in our oratab which had been manually edited the ORACLE_HOME string had a trailing slash. The instance would have originally been started after setting the environment using oraenv as well, so I think that that together with Dan and Dimitri's explanations nails the problem down.