Re: limited DBA privileges

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:26:55 +0200

Niall

What I meant was once it's set up to protect a certain schema or whatever,
no Oracle knowledge is required to add new users to a realm. All you really
need to know is "this is what protects your sensitive data and this is the
list of users that have access to it". And with a few clicks (urks I sound
like someone who likes GUIs) you can change those users.

Of course the whole configuration that needs to take place can't be done
without an intimate knowledge of how Oracle works. That however can be done
by a DBA, and monitored / verified by a 3rd party who will then transfer the
"password" to someone outside the DBA team.

Mind you some environments that change very frequently might be an exception
to this, but it works for  the ones I've done so far, where realms don't
change after initial creation, only new users get added or removed from
realms.

Cheers

Stefan

PS Also disregarding the potential "workarounds" a DBA could perform to gain
access ;-)

--
=========================

Stefan P Knecht