limited DBA privileges

  • From: "Cochran, Mark" <Mark.Cochran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:27:15 -0400

As part of a company-wide security initiative, I've been tasked with coming up
an implementation of limited DBA privileges.  Specifically, a set of database
privileges that allow a user with these privileges to maintain the database
(e.g., add/resize datafiles; create and modify tablespaces; create, alter and
move tables; create, alter and rebuild indexes; query the data dictionary),
while restricting that user from querying sensitive data in specific tables
(e.g., credit card data).
Has anyone encountered such a requirement before?  Any suggestions?  Can you
point me toward any examples of how to create such a role?

Using Oracle Enterprise Version 10.2.0.3, we plan on keeping up with the latest
security patches.

Mark Cochran
Oracle DBA, Staples, Inc.
508.253.8408