Re: leaf node splits

  • From: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dombrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:50:59 -0500

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Dominic Brooks <dombrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Every day, the first time I run this statement with this new data I will
> get some 3000 "leaf node splits" of which 1020 are "leaf node 90-10 splits"
> then I roll it back.
>
> Every subsequent time I repeat this statement and roll back, I insert the
> exact same data in the insert .. select but I get 1020 @"leaf node splits"
> and "1020 leaf node 90-10 splits'".
>
> Any thoughts on the difference?

I believe the "leaf node splits" counter is goes up even if they are "leaf
node 90-10 splits".  So, when your new data is inserted the first time 1980
of those are 50-50 splits.  When you rollback that transaction those blocks
aren't un-split so on subsequent runs those values fall right into their
place in the index.

As for the 90-10, that looks like you have a right handed index and is
splitting with every insert.

Andy