Re: latch-free SCN scheme (10.1.0.3)

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:43:45 -0800 (PST)

Mladen,

You do not need redo copy latch if the transaction is
small (not valid from 9i) or you have only 1 CPU
system and only one redo allocation latch.

In this case Oracle is turning this option off not
allowing this to happen at all.

Whenever you have multiple redo allocation latches no
way Oracle will not use redo copy latch(es).
The number of strands is telling you how many redo
allocation child latches you have.

But, that was the past. In 10g you can turned to not
use copy latces at all with:
_log_private_parallelism=true
then you will get zero-copy = TRUE.
That means no need to aquire copy latch at all :)

This is probably something that is going to be
standard setup for 11u :)

Regards,
Zoran

http://mail.yahoo.com