large partitioning key length any issues?

  • From: amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Group <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:43:44 +0200

Hi

We are considering to partition a few tables in one of our core
transactional system because they are pretty big and getting larger and
larger, currently ranges between 10GB and 50GB and expecting a 200% growth.
We are not looking into performance rather manegability, managing smaller
segments.

Most tables will be partitioned using HASH (we dont have any logical range
to partition), we are considering the primary key or the columns which are
queried quite often by the application.

This second column is varchar2(50) and the primary key are surrogate keys. I
wonder if there are any issues using a large column such as varchar2(50) in
hash partitioning?

Thank you

Alex