RE: killing oracle processes

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:51:37 -0400

Dick,

In the scenario you describe, it sounds like the developer had privilege to
kill any session, not just his own.  When this thread started, the question was
if there was a way to allow developers to kill their own sessions.  The two are
completely different.  I'd never buy in to a non-DBA being able to kill
arbitrary sessions, at least not without very special circumstances and lots of
training.  Now, if the question is the ability for him to kill his own
sessions, on non-production databases, I may buy into that......

I do acknowledge that your CPU limit profile may be a cleaner and easier to
maintain solution....depending on the circumstances....

-Mark