Re: kernel Upgrade: Oracle 9iR2, RHEL3, and kernel version (max)?

  • From: Magnus Andersen <mag.andersen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:21:18 -0500

The smp kernel does not address memory above 16 GB. If you have more memory
(16 - 64 GB) use the hugemem kernel, if not there is no reason, that I know
of, to use it. We are also running on the 2.4.21-32.0.1 kernel without any
problems on RHEL 3. I am not familiar with OCFS. I'm running ext3.

On a side note, I would strongly suggest that you use hugetlb since I saw
huge performance gains implementing that.

--
Magnus Andersen
Systems Administrator / Oracle DBA