Re: is there any way i can avoid rebuild physical standby database after every PROD to UAT database refresh ?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, franck@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:38:54 -0500

I clarified the problem in a little private exchange. Falgun has a UAT server which is protected by the standby.  His problem is that whenever he refreshes the UAT db, he also needs to refresh the standby for the UAT db. My first question was why was there a standby for a database that is regularly refreshed? Backup should be protection enough, since the data already exists in production. However, my impression is that the standby for UAT server cannot be discussed and is a given. In that case, the answer is a clear "no". Standby also has to be refreshed. Hopefully, he uses SRDF, HUR or SnapVault to refresh UAT and standby.

Regards

On 11/10/19 10:28 AM, Mark W. Farnham wrote:

What exactly do you wish to refresh from production?

Can you accomplish your goal with transportable tablespaces and the files that contain them?

There is probably a difference in approach with the not necessarily equal efforts of goals for “least human intervention” versus least physical activity on the servers.

Increasing complexity is usually proportional to increasing failure rates, although different folks put different metrics on discrete human actions, number of steps, and underlying complexity.

And at some scale versus any then current variety of physical components, reasonable time to complete and consumption of resource limited resources may require additional complexity to complete in time and resource consumption that is acceptable.

I personally have a distaste for the physical machinery wasting cycles, but that is something I dismiss depending on the real world situation.

So is avoiding the rebuilds a matter of taste or a real issue of time to complete?

Clearly stating the goal (including the acceptable service levels and physical resource capacities) is a useful starting point.

The short answer to your question is “yes,” but a presumed toolset and exactly what you mean by a physical standby database may limit your options.

Good luck,

mwf