Re: is Oracle evil? About former Sun Open Source @Oracle

  • From: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:52:40 +0200

> but otherwise I found
> it very nice (especially not having to deal with mutating triggers!)

This makes me wonder then: how does PostgreSQL protect you from the
indeterministic behaviour that your code can experience when writing queries
on the (mutating) table inside row triggers?

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Walker, Jed S
<Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> That isn't good. PostgreSQl is a very good database. I had trouble
> trying to convince the developers that there should be a way to switch
> out a WAL (archive) log after doing a hot backup, but otherwise I found
> it very nice (especially not having to deal with mutating triggers!). It
> doesn't have the high-end features and tuning tools, but it is a very
> good solid product. I used a company called PostgreSQL, Inc. for 3rd
> party product support and they were very good.

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV
Toon.Koppelaars@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.RuleGen.com
TheHelsinkiDeclaration.blogspot.com

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
www.RuleGen.com/pls/apex/f?p=14265:13